Subject: Windows CIFS share "ls: reading directory .: permission denied"
From: [email-masked] (Freddy Jensen)
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:54:30 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Around June 2008, there were some posting with the subject:

Windows CIFS share "ls: reading directory .: permission denied"

but I don't know if there was a resolution to the problem.

I am now running into the exact same problem, after I upgraded
to the latest cygwin version. The problem is that the "ls"
command isn't able to enumerate directories if they reside on
a CIFS share on a server. If I know the name of a file on the
remote share, then I can access it, but ls cannot enumerate
the directory. The shell, neither bsh nor csh, cannot do it
either because if I cd to the share and do 'echo *' then it
just prints *.

The cmd "dir" command can enumerate the remote directory.

This leads me to suspect that in a recent release of cygwin,
the ls command got broken, or some library that supports ls
got broken. This used to work fine before I upgraded.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--
Freddy Jensen, Sr. Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA, Ph: (408) 536-2869
Email: [email-masked], URL: http://www.adobe.com
--

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/