Subject: RE: cannot find iconv() function
From: "Dave Korn" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:45:08 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

[  Cc added: gtmess maintainer. ]

 Hi George, I've got a patch for you.  It fixes a gtmess configure script
problem on cygwin.  See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-06/msg00395.html
and thread for background.

David Collin wrote on 20 June 2008 05:21:

> The compiler I am using here shouldn't really matter for now as I only
> tried to run a configure script that 
> generated an error in no way linked to a compiler. 

  Actually, that's a misunderstanding.  The way configure scripts work
involves using the system's compiler to implicitly check for the presence or
absence of various headers, libraries and functions in those libraries.

  What's happening here, however, is that the iconv test is getting tricked.
In cygwin, the iconv function is actually called 'libiconv', and a #define
in the iconv.h header file translates calls to iconv into calls to libiconv.

  The standard autoconf library function detection test, for the sake of
simplicity, declares the function prototype itself rather than including the
header, so the name doesn't get translated and the function isn't found at
link time.

  A patch such as the attached makes the configure test check if it's
running on cygwin and look for libiconv() rather than iconv() in that case.
It made gtmess build for me.

    cheers,
      DaveK
-- 
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/