Subject: RE: Section 508 Compliance
From: "Mr Webber" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Heaney, Robin G'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Carrington-Duckett, Laura B.'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:40:10 -0500
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Let me start by declaring that I am not a lawyer; But:

If the following is correct, CYGWIN does not qualify as an application nor
is it an operating system and would (should) not be subject to Section 508.

Cygwin is an environment emulator.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Summary of Section 508 technical standards

Software Applications and Operating Systems: includes usability for people
that are visually impaired, such as alternative keyboard navigation. 
Web-based Intranet and Internet Information and Applications: assures
accessibility to web page graphics by the visually impaired using assistive
technology such as screen readers and refreshable Braille displays. This is
accomplished by using text labels and descriptors for graphics. 
Telecommunications Products: addresses accessibility for people who are deaf
or hard of hearing. This includes technology compatibility with hearing
aids, assistive listening devices, and TTYs. 

Videos or Multimedia Products: includes requirements for captioning of
multimedia products such as training or informational multimedia
productions. Captioning or video descriptors must be able to be turned on or
off. 

Self Contained, Closed Products: products with embedded software, such as
information kiosks, copiers, and fax machines, often cannot be used with
assistive technology. This standard requires that access features be built
into these systems. 
Desktop and Portable Computers: discusses accessibility related to
mechanically operated controls such as keyboards and touch screens.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Heaney, Robin G
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 2:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Heaney, Robin G; Carrington-Duckett, Laura B.
Subject: Section 508 Compliance

I checked the FAQ and did numerous searches both on your website and
Google, but could not find any mention of Cygwin being section 508
compliant.  

Can you please let us know if the latest version of Cygwin is compliant
with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act?  If possible, please provide
us a completed Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT).

Regards,
Robin Heaney
SAIC, NBIS CM Specialist
865-481-2810

Confidentiality Notice: This communication and any attachments may
contain information that is proprietary to SAIC and/or its customers. It
may be used by the intended recipient only for the purpose for which it
was transmitted. If you received this message in error, please return it
to the sender and delete this copy from your system.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/