Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22.1 from source
From: "Taras D" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eric Blake" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:53:39 +0800
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

> You probably unpacked a tarball with a windows zip utility that
> "helpfully" changes the line endings on files.  Don't do that.  Use cygwin
> tools to unzip the tarball (and this topic has been in the list archives
> as well).

Correct

> By the way, any reason you're trying to compile emacs rather than using it
> pre-built?  You may also want to download the source that accompanies the
> pre-built version, since it comes with a script that takes care of all the
> unpacking and compilation for you (in fact, it was that script that the
> maintainer uses to compile the pre-built version in the cygwin distribution).
>

I'm trying to get the GUI layout of GDB working (sorry if I'm using
the terminology, I just discovered these things half a week ago).
Screenshots are found at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GrandUnifiedDebugger and
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7876. The latter article states
that: "I describe a new mode, which I call GDB-UI, that is a part of
the next release of Emacs (21.4) and offers the GUI features of many
modern debuggers". Whenever I start gdb it creates a buffer within
emacs that looks the same as if I was using it from bash, so I'm
guessing the reason why I don't have the 'GDB-UI' layout as shown in
the images is because the emacs version I have is too old (the binary
you donwload using the cygwin setup program is version 21-2). If I'm
doing something wrong I'd love to know what.

Now make runs successfully until the following error message appears:

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cannot find -lcurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [temacs.exe] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/emacs_downloaded/emacs-22.1/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

I looked on the internet, but there was nothing referring to lcurses
and emacs. I woul think that all of the required libraries would get
automatically included?

Taras

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/