Subject: Re: [1.7.0 HEAD]: Cygwin no longer encoding/decoding names on managed
From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 01:59:32 -0800
Newsgroups: lists.cygwin
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:11:00 -0600,
"Gary R[dot] Van Sickle" <g[dot]r[dot]vansickle[at]worldnet[dot]att[dot]net>
wrote:

>> From: Dave Korn
>> Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 8:25 PM
>> Subject: RE: [1.7.0 HEAD]: Cygwin no longer encoding/decoding 
>> names on managed mounts
>> 
>> On 14 January 2008 21:41, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>> 
>> > I'm not sure when this cropped up, but it happened sometime 
>> after the 
>> > great "win 9x" code purge. The problem is that the Cygwin dll no 
>> > longer decodes or encodes file/directory names on managed mounts.
>> 
>>   Isn't that the whole idea?

Why would that be "the whole idea"? Aren't file names handled the same
way in both branches of Windows ("Windows on top of DOS" [9x/ME] and
"Windows NT-- The Next Generation" [2K/XP/Vista])?

>Managed mounts?  They're intended to handle names with things like ":" in
>them, which will choke Windows no matter what year is in its name.

Aren't they also intended to support apps that expect and require file
names to be POSIXly case-sensitive? Apps that include core files that
have the same names except for case? ...which will cause file
collisions in Windows, no matter what year is in its name.

It seems to me that Cygwin /still/ has just as much need to map POSIX
file names onto Windows, as Windows still has the need (at least
through XP-- I do not know if this is supported in Vista) to map long
file names onto DOS 8.3 file names. Oh yeah, which reminds me-- cygpath
no longer escapes the spaces in Windows long file names when converting
them to POSIX paths, making the following kludgy shell script
necessary:

#! /bin/bash
ppath=$(cygpath "$2" | sed 's/ /\\ /g')
if [ -n $3 ] ; then
  eval $1 "$ppath" $3
else
  eval $1 "$ppath"
fi

Jeff
-- 
"Sorry, my life is still in beta, and nowhere near stable enough for a
release."

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/