Subject: Re: which mail sending tool I should use?
From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:59:25 -0800
Newsgroups: lists.cygwin
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:11:18 +0800, sun <pythonsun[at]gmail[dot]com> wrote:

>hi, retrieve&send mail by cygwin I know fetchmail and mutt are needed
>to get and view the mails. But I am not sure about the sending tool in
>cygwin, could you please advise?

For a single user set-up on my own box, I use ssmtp. There's exim, but
I see no need to have a full-on MTA for my situation. Fetchmail, ssmtp,
my Mail User Agent (MUA), and a shell script to tie it all together...
that works a treat, for me. :)

Note that fetchmail supports passing mail directly (bypassing port 25)
to a Mail Delivery Agent, like maildrop and procmail. That can simplify
your setup, and provides mail filtering.  I've never used maildrop, but
procmail (with its companion tools) is to me an essential package for
taming mailing lists, and other similar tasks. And, if you're not stuck
using old, tired, resource-strapped trailing edge equipment like I am,
so that you don't mind having even more background processes running
than what Windows gives you by default, you can even run fetchmail in
daemon mode (I don't).

Jeff
-- 
"Sorry, my life is still in beta, and nowhere near stable enough for a
release."

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/