Subject: Re: Squid use and configuration on cygwin
From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 07:22:11 -0800
Newsgroups: lists.cygwin
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:08:26 +0000,
"Dave Korn" <dave[dot]korn[at]artimi[dot]com> wrote:

>On 26 December 2007 15:49, Kevin Hilton wrote:
>
>> The official squid documentation keeps talking of a Cygwin users
>> guide, however I cant find any link to this guide.  

He also wrote:

>Are there any good guides to getting squid up and running on cygwin.
[...]
>So many questions -- cant seem to find anything more than a few
>sentences regarding cygwin.

And then...

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please[at]cygwin[dot]com>
wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 04:24:55PM +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
>>On 2007-12-26 15:48Z, Kevin Hilton wrote:
>>>
>>> The official squid documentation keeps talking of a Cygwin users
>>> guide, however I cant find any link to this guide.
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin+users+guide
>  
>Or, you could go to the Cygwin web site and find "User's Guide" under
>"Documentation".
>
>I know.  Pretty astonishing.

In response to that...

>On 29 December 2007 02:38, Kevin Hilton wrote:
>
>> So any of you geniuses that pointed me to the Cygwin users guide want
>> to tell me specifically where the squid section is located??   Thanks
>> for no help at all.  I asked specifically about squid as it related to
>> cygwin, or perhaps you guys were too busy to show me how smart you
>> were.

Finally...

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:08:26 +0000,
"Dave Korn" <dave[dot]korn[at]artimi[dot]com> wrote (among other
things):

>  Being an ass about it will not resolve the situation, although it
>might make you feel better.

Hmmmmm... IMO, the anger is wholly justified, considering the
provocation: a dismissive response in the first instance, and a
sarcastic one in the second. Deciding that someone is a "luser" (when
it is more likely that you have someone who is simply too confused to
ask even mediocre questions, much less the "right" question) and
telling him, in effect, to go RTFM doesn't go very far to resolve
situations either, although it might make some people feel better-- at
the expense of someone else. And throwing epithets there, Dave, most
certainly adds much more heat than light to the conversation.

Jeff "when a man asks you for bread, don't give him a stone" H.
-- 
"Sorry, my life is still in beta, and nowhere near stable enough for a
release."

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/