Subject: Re: Slowness problem due to sjlj-exceptions for Octave
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[email-masked]>
To: "Morgan Gangwere" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:08:49 +0900
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

>
>I just want to clarify... Can you give a dump of these two commands:
>echo $PATH
>gcc -v
>
>from a cygwin command line... I suspect the reason all along is that
>the REAL minGW is trying to ignore cygwin all together, but in the
>process, cygwin is seeing a 'gcc' binary earlier in its PATH so it
>uses that -- the official minGW binary.
>
>MinGW-official has nothing to do with cygwin Here... thats why I asked...
>(pause)

On cygwin

Tatsu@Shiro ~
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/
WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/WBEM:
/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft SQL Server/90/Tools/binn/:/cygdrive/d/usr/Tatsu/
program/ScriptTools:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ckw:/cygdrive/c/Program 
Files/gawk-mbcs-win32-20070407:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/wscite:/
cygdrive/c/Program Files/Hidemaru:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/gp420win32
/gnuplot/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/md5command:/usr/lib/lapack

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/specs
Configured with: /usr/build/package/orig/test.respin/gcc-3.4.4-3/
configure --verbose --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/
etc --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --
infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,d,f77,pascal,java,
objc --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-version-specific
-runtime-libs --without-x --enable-libgcj --disable-java-awt --with-
system-zlib --enable-interpreter --disable-libgcj-debug --enable-
threads=posix --enable-java-gc=boehm --disable-win32-registry --enable
-sjlj-exceptions --enable-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-
debug
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

$ /opt/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/gcc -v
bash: /opt/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/gcc: No such file or directory

$ /opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/gcc -v
Reading specs from /opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/lib/gcc/i686-pc-
cygwin/3.4.4/specs
Configured with: /home/gcc_s/gcc-3.4.4-3/gcc-3.4.4-3/configure --
disable-sjlj-exceptions --prefix=/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

Before octave ./confure, I set the following
export CC='/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/gcc'
export CXX='/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/g++'
export F77='/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/g77'
export CPPFLAGS='-I/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/include -I/opt/octave
-2.9.13/include' 
export LDFLAGS='-L/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/lib -L/opt/octave-2.9.
13/lib' 
***
In /opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d, the gcc prepared with --disable-sjlj
-exceptions exist.

**********************************************
On mingw (msys)
$ echo $PATH
.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/
WINDOWS/system32/WBEM:/c/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/90/Tools/
binn/:/d/usr/Tatsu/program/ScriptTools:/c/Program Files/ckw:/c/
Program Files/gawk-mbcs-win32-20070407:/c/Program Files/wscite:/c/
Program Files/Hidemaru:/c/Program Files/gp420win32/gnuplot/bin:/c/
Program Files/md5command:/GnuWin32/bin

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from c:/Programs/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/
specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-
as --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --enable-threads --
disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32
-registry --disable-shared --enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj --
disable-java-awt --without-x --enable-java-gc=boehm --disable-libgcj-
debug --enable-interpreter --enable-hash-synchronization --enable-
libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)

/etc/fstab
c:\Programs\MinGW /mingw

C:\Programs\msys\1.0\local /usr/local

C:\Programs\msys\1.0\include /usr/include

C:\Programs\msys\1.0\lib /usr/lib

C:\Programs\GnuWin32 /GnuWin32

D:\usr\Tatsu\mingwhome /home

********** Native windows Path
C:\Documents and Settings\Tatsu>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM;C:\
Program Files\Mi
crosoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;D:\usr\Tatsu\program\ScriptTools;C:
\Program Fi
les\ckw;C:\Program Files\gawk-mbcs-win32-20070407;C:\Program Files\
wscite;C:\Pro
gram Files\Hidemaru;C:\Program Files\gp420win32\gnuplot\bin;C:\
Program Files\md5
command

I did not set PATH variable to the cygwin nor mingw(msys). 
Path to the cygwin or the mingw is set in starting batch files.

Sincerely

Tatsuro MATSUOKA

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/