Subject: Re: Slowness problem due to sjlj-exceptions for Octave
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[email-masked]>
To: Carlo Florendo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:43:45 +0900
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Dear Carlo

>Could you please expound (or point to a link) on what sjlj or sjlj- 
>exceptions do?  AFAIK, it's probably the first time the "octave sjlj 
>exception issue" has appeared in this list.  As far as I've seen, this is a 
>gcc issue.
Disscussion seem to be started from the foloowing points
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2004-03/msg01605.html

And also cygwin.com
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-04/msg01070.html

In 2.1.xx series, I have built octave by myself using gcc-3.2 from 
special web site.  For octave 2.9.xx, the gcc-3.2 is no longer to be 
used.  So I have built gcc-3.4.4 --disable-sjlj-expceptions 

********************
$/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/bin/gcc -v
Reading specs from /opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d/lib/gcc/i686-pc-
cygwin/3.4.4/specs
Configured with: /home/gcc_s/gcc-3.4.4-3/gcc-3.4.4-3/configure --
disable-sjlj-exceptions --prefix=/opt/octave-2.9.13/gcc-3.4.4d
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)      
********************
>The cygwin octave maintainer (if [s]he is still there) must know more about 
>this.  However, Cygwin's octave is 2.1.72 but mainline is 2.9.13.

 James R. Phillips was the maintaner of the  octave-2.1.73 on cygwin. 
However there are noresponses for my binary upload to on my web.
Perhaps he is not working as a maintainer.
At that time, the Octave only be built using the cygwin on the windows.
So I suppose that he knows the problem but build it by the normally 
prepared compiler. 

>Would it be possible for you to send corresponding straces of the cases you 
>posted below?
>
For Octave on mingw 
octave.exe:1> testOregoB
ans =  1.5781

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from c:/Programs/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/
specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-
as --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --enable-threads --
disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,ada,objc,java --disable-win32
-registry --disable-shared --enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libgcj --
disable-java-awt --without-x --enable-java-gc=boehm --disable-libgcj-
debug --enable-interpreter --enable-hash-synchronization --enable-
libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: win32
gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)

Tatsuro Matsuoka

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/