Subject: If tcsh is the login shell, $SHELL is unset
From: Keith Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Keith Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:34:32 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

I've set my default login shell to tcsh (by editing /etc/passwd),
and I invoke tcsh explicitly using the command
    "C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15bold -e /bin/tcsh -l"
executed from a Windows shortcut in my Start menu.)

When my shell starts up, the $SHELL environment is not set.  (I've
worked around this in my $HOME/.login by explicitly setting it to
"/bin/tcsh" if it's not set.)

This problem has been around for a long time (I just haven't gotten
around to reporting it until now).  My system is currently updated
with all the latest packages, include tcsh-6.15.00-1.

Let me know if I can provide more information.

-- 
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) [email-masked]  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
"We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this."
    -- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/