Subject: tcsh-6.15.00-1 can't find cat, cut, sed
From: Keith Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Keith Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:23:35 -0700
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

I just upgraded to tcsh 6.15.00-1.  When I start a login shell,
I get the following error messages:

cat: Command not found.
cut: Command not found.
cat: Command not found.
cut: Command not found.
sed: Command not found.

(The command I use to do this is
    "C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15bold -e /bin/tcsh -l"
executed from a Windows shortcut in my Start menu.)

I've tracked this down to the script "/etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh",
which is invoked from "/etc/csh.cshrc".  The complete.tcsh script
assumes that $PATH / $path has been set, when in fact it has not.
This is new code in complete.tcsh; it wasn't there before I upgraded
to tcsh-6.15.00-1 (and "cygcheck -f /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh"
prints "tcsh-6.15.00-1").

The bug reporting guidelines say to attach the output of
"cygcheck -s -v -r", but it's pretty big, and I *think* the only
relevant content is one line:

tcsh                     6.15.00-1

If you need the full output, let me know and I'll provide it.

I've worked around this by modifying the complete.tcsh script,
changing *almost* all occurrences of the words "cat", "cut", and
"sed" to "/bin/cat", "/bin/cut", and "/bin/sed", respectively.
I can provide a patch (context diff) if you like.  The occurences
that I *didn't* replace are:

% egrep -n '[^/a-z](cat|cut|sed)\>' /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh
685:                    continue convert-links cut-dirs= debug \
922:    complete sed    c/--/"(quiet silent version help expression file)"/   \
951:    complete cat    c/--/"(number-nonblank number squeeze-blank show-all \

-- 
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) [email-masked]  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
"We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this."
    -- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/