Subject: Re: cygwin on Vista
From: Robert Pendell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:54:26 -0400
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Roelf Renkema wrote:
> zzapper wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote in
>> news:[email-masked]:
> 
>>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:37:58PM +0100, Dirk Kapusta wrote:
>>>> Does the latest cygwin dll (1.5.24-2) work on Windows Vista (32 bit)? I
>>>> use development tools from Altera which installs cygwin for the gnutools
>>>> and their cross compiler. The version of the cygwin1.dll that is
>>>> installed with their development tools is Product Version 1.3.23, Build
>>>> Date 2003-03-27 18:48. I used this so far on Windows 2000. After
>>>> installing the development tools on Vista I get the following error
>>>> message when opening the bash shell of the SDK:
>>>>
>>> However, yes, Cygwin works on Vista.  If you want answers about how to
>>> get Altera working, however, don't ask us.  Ask Altera.
>>>
>>> cgf
>>>
>> Yeah Cygwin works fine on Vista, it's just Windows that doesn't work
> well on
>> Vista ... sigh
> 
> Vista? Is that the little brother of Millenium? Remember that one.
> Ultra short live cycle. Who developed for that?

Ok.  We can TITTTL now.  Follow-ups set to Cygwin Talk List.

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TITTTL

Anyways I can safely say that Vista isn't the "little brother" of Vista.
 *ducks*

I tested Vista before it got released in their internal tech beta.  It
won't have that short life cycle.  However for those of you that are
waiting for SP1 then it should be out by years end.  That is being
expected.  On the other hand the driver support from 3rd party
manufacturers is lacking right now.

A co-worker brought in their laptop and their sound wasn't working.  I
took a look at it.  The drivers appeared to be loaded properly and it
was definately trying (the sound meter in the sound control panel
updated) but nothing was coming out of the speakers or headphones.  I
honestly didn't know if I should blame the drivers, the sound card, or
the speakers.

- --
Robert Pendell
[email-masked]

Thawte Web of Trust Notary
CAcert Assurer

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/