Subject: RE: Writing to MVFS (clearcase) volumes from remote ssh
From: "Benedict, Michael" <[email-masked]>
To: "Max Kaehn" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:31:43 -0600
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

Please bear with me, I am not sure if I am on the same page as you.

1) I can see the mount.  I can make it my working directory.  I can view
files in it.  I can even remove some files from it.  This is all from
the remote ssh session.
2) I downloaded WinObj, and am trying to use it.  I see no entries in
\Sessions\0\DosDevices that link to my Clearcase volume (M:).
\GLOBAL??\M: is a link to \Device\mvfs on my system.  In Cygwin, m: was
mounted on /cygdrive/m.  All my tests are nested deeply in
/cygdrive/m... Eg:

SSH$ echo $SSH_CONNECTION;pwd;cp README.txt NEWFILE.txt;ls NEWFILE.txt
10.100.10.74 34389 10.100.3.212 22
/cygdrive/m/mbenedict_smira_dev_view/PRODUCT_DEVELOPMENT/SCE/S_MIRA/mira
_dev/ADLC
cp: cannot create regular file `NEWFILE.txt': Permission denied
/bin/ls: NEWFILE.txt: No such file or directory

LOCAL$ echo $SSH_CONNECTION;pwd;cp README.txt NEWFILE.txt;ls NEWFILE.txt

/cygdrive/m/mbenedict_smira_dev_view/PRODUCT_DEVELOPMENT/SCE/S_MIRA/mira
_dev/ADLC
NEWFILE.txt

I don't exactly understand how I would access my view via the view
drive, I think I only have a view drive(?)

Thank you for your help!
	Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Kaehn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:06 PM
To: Benedict, Michael
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Writing to MVFS (clearcase) volumes from remote ssh

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:55 -0600, Benedict, Michael wrote:
> I have an ssh server running on a Windows XP Professional.  I also 
> have a Clearcase Dynamic view mounted to the M:\ drive.  From a Cygwin

> X-term (local), I am able to interact with files mostly as 
> expected(1).  If I ssh into Cygwin(2), I can list and read files fine.

> If I have permission, I can even unlink them!  However, I am not able 
> to open any files for writing, including creating new files.  Running 
> with smbntsec or nosmbntsec in the CYGWIN environment variable seems 
> to have no effect.  I am running with ntsec set in the CYGWIN
environment variable.
> I have tried running with and without privilege separation for sshd.

ClearCase dynamic views are mounted in the console session, not in the
global namespace.  e.g. my view slothman_main is mounted on drive S:,
with my MVFS drive as V:, and drive S: only exists in the
\Sessions\0\DosDevices\00000000-0000bff9 as symbolic link from "S:" to
"\??\V:\slothman_main".  (You can see this using WinObj:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/WinObj.m
spx .) With sshd running as a service, it's not in the same session as
the console, so it can't see the mount.

I notice that the MVFS drive itself is mounted in the global namespace
(e.g.: \GLOBAL??\V: is a link to \Device\mvfs on my system).
Try accessing your view via the view drive (e.g. using V:\slothman_main
instead of S:); that worked on my system (running 1.5.19).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/