Subject: Re: Writing to MVFS (clearcase) volumes from remote ssh
From: Max Kaehn <[email-masked]>
To: "Benedict, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:05:41 -0800
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:55 -0600, Benedict, Michael wrote:
> I have an ssh server running on a Windows XP Professional.  I also have
> a Clearcase Dynamic view mounted to the M:\ drive.  From a Cygwin X-term
> (local), I am able to interact with files mostly as expected(1).  If I
> ssh into Cygwin(2), I can list and read files fine.  If I have
> permission, I can even unlink them!  However, I am not able to open any
> files for writing, including creating new files.  Running with smbntsec
> or nosmbntsec in the CYGWIN environment variable seems to have no
> effect.  I am running with ntsec set in the CYGWIN environment variable.
> I have tried running with and without privilege separation for sshd.

ClearCase dynamic views are mounted in the console session, not in the
global namespace.  e.g. my view slothman_main is mounted on drive S:,
with my MVFS drive as V:, and drive S: only exists in the
\Sessions\0\DosDevices\00000000-0000bff9 as symbolic link from
"S:" to "\??\V:\slothman_main".  (You can see this using WinObj:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/WinObj.mspx .)
With sshd running as a service, it's not in the same session as the
console, so it can't see the mount.

I notice that the MVFS drive itself is mounted in the global
namespace (e.g.: \GLOBAL??\V: is a link to \Device\mvfs on my system).
Try accessing your view via the view drive (e.g. using V:\slothman_main
instead of S:); that worked on my system (running 1.5.19).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/