Subject: Re: cygwin -mno-cygwin AC_CHECK_SIZEOF
From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:57:59 +0100
List-Id: <cygwin.cygwin.com>

* Eric Blake wrote on Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 02:43:10PM CET:
> According to Bob Rossi on 12/1/2006 5:28 AM:
> > 
> > I really think this is the current best solution, that is, to modify
> > autoconf to not use cat. Either that, or simply don't put the \n in the
> > AC_CHECK_SIZEOF macro. I'm not sure why that is done in the first place.
> 
> Avoiding the troublesome line ending seems best to me.

How does this mesh with
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf-patches/2001-09/msg00043.html>
or formulated differently, if we're going to break POSIX compatibility,
do we at least have sufficient evidence that all known systems cope with
it?

FWIW, the patch in that thread undid a previous change that removed the
line ending.

(I vaguely remember assuming some issues in Libtool with passing things
without a newline; alas, I never got to the bottom of that, and forgot
about the details since.)

Cheers,
Ralf

> 2006-12-01  Eric Blake  <[email-masked]>
> 
> 	* lib/autoconf/c.m4 (AC_LANG_INT_SAVE): Avoid newline, to aid in
> 	cross-compiling from cygwin to mingw.
> 	Reported by Bob Rossi.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/