Subject: device drivers - general info
From: "George Locke" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:48:28 -0400

Hi group,

I am running windows 2k with the most recent Cygwin version 1.5.21-1,
just installed it last week.

I wish to create a C++ program that communicates with a windows device
driver (for a PCI card that interfaces with external electronics).
The maker of the driver has provided a C++ library that allows me to
write C++ programs that communicate with the PCI card, and i know that
this works in regular windows, but i am feeling unsure about whether
it will work in Cygwin.

Would you say "in general yes, that kind of thing should work"?  Is
there a general rule for how Cygwin interacts with windows hardware
drivers?  is there a web-page that will explain driver issues within
Cygwin (googling the cygwin site has been unfruitful so far)?

If you need more specifics i'll provide them.  I can't simply test
this because I don't have the driver, and i won't buy it ($900) unless
i feel assured that i will be able to make it work, hence this email.

 Regards,

George Locke

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/