Subject: Re: Speeding up Cygwin deployment
From: "fergus" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:00:58 +0100

>> C:\cygwin\usr\share\man\man1\allec.1
>> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\doc\html\atobm.1.html

I don't have a system against which to check this conjecture, but if you do
a DOS attrib on each of these files my guess is that the first is created as
a +R symlink and the second as a +S symlink*; and if you do a DOS dir the
first will be revealed as a .lnk file and the second will not. It looks to
me as though the zipper you're using understands and can re-create files of
the first sort, but the second goes wrong.

(Or maybe even +S +H which might help explain its invisibility, but don't
think so.)

For different but similar reasons (the need to copy an entire Cygwin system
to other file systems via a DVD which can faithfully transfer +R but not +S
files whilst preserving these attributes) I have gone through the system
re-creating all original +S symlinks as +R. If the above conjecture is true
/ looks as though it might be true, and if you think this re-creation might
help I can send you the script.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/