Subject: RE: [Mingw-msys] POSIX names for drive letters
From: "Schwarz, Konrad" <[email-masked]>
To: "MSYS Discussion List" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:39:48 +0200

> > > The proposed mapping for directory `C:\' is `//./C$/' (or perhaps 
> > > `//./C/').
> 
> > So... why exactly do you need this? The only thing I might actually 
> > support here (keeping in mind Eric's comments and CGF's clear 
> > agreement with them) would be treating '//./' as a special case of 
> > '//127.0.0.1/', at which point '//./C$/' is the UNC mapping of the 
> > default 'C$' share on the local machine. But I still fail 
> to see why 
> > that is useful.

For the record, the //127.0.0.1/C$ solution is probably good enough for
me.  I therefore retract my proposal.

By the way, any idea why //localhost/C$ doesn't work?

Also, someone called Interix a POS, which I can't find on
http://cygwin.com/acronyms, but I guess is derogatory (I originally
though "POsix Simulation" or something, to tell the truth).  Is there a
list of reasons of the drawbacks of Interix somewhere?

Regards,

Konrad Schwarz

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/