Subject: Re: 3.81 and windows paths
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:50:13 -0400

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:56:20AM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
>%% Christopher Faylor writes:
>cf> If you want to use a Makefile which works in a Cygwin environment,
>cf> however, then obviously you need to build it with a Cygwin gcc.
>
>You'll have to forgive my virtually complete ignorance of all things
>Windows, even Cygwin, but if you have a minute... why?
>
>I mean, if there is no special Cygwin code in make any longer, then
>can't people use a native Windows build of make and have it invoke tools
>in the Cygwin environment?
>
>Or is there something special going on that means this won't work?

I think this has been answered later in the thread, but the short answer
is - the MinGW make won't recognize the cygwin mount table or symlinks,
so you can't use cygwin paths in a MinGW makefile without resorting to
something like "cygpath".

>Regardless, I still wonder whether my idea of building make for a POSIX
>environment with Cygwin, but setting HAVE_DOS_PATHS explicitly, would
>work.

I briefly thought that this might be a possibility but I've since remembered
cases where people complained about their linux makefiles not working correctly
due to the colon handling in 3.80.  This may have been a side effect of the
ancient patches that I had been carrying forward but I have a feeling that
there are cases where a makefile which runs on linux could not be properly
parsed under cygwin.

I mentioned this here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-07/msg00896.html

>cf> Again, I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
>
>Absolutely no problem Christopher; I hope I didn't sound peeved because
>I'm not.  I'm happy to see this change, and I'm happy that I understand
>the source of the confusion some Cygwin users have been having lately.
>It's all good!

No, I didn't detect any trace of "peevedness" at all.  I just hate when
decisions that I make have unintended consequences for other free
software volunteers.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/