Subject: Re: 3.81 and windows paths
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:11:36 -0400

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:09:16PM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
>In fact, I'm wondering if there is an advantage to building GNU make
>using the Cygwin environment, vs. using a native MingW (for example)
>build of GNU make?  I'm afraid I'm woefully ignorant about the details.

There is no advantage using cygwin if you want to use a Makefile which
contains MS-DOS paths.  Using MinGW makes perfect sense in that case.
Despite having suggested this repeatedly, it seems some users are still
not clear on this concept.

If you want to use a Makefile which works in a Cygwin environment,
however, then obviously you need to build it with a Cygwin gcc.

I'm *very* sorry that I didn't make it clearer in my release
announcement that the change in behavior for cygwin was due to a
decision on my part not to try to forward port some old make patches
which I have always found questionable.  Of course hardly anyone reads
release announcemnts, but that would mean that at least some people
wouldn't think of this as some sort of generic make bug.  It never
occurred to me that anyone would be complaining about this in the
bug-make mailing list.

Again, I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/