Subject: Re: FW: xemacs freezes when latexing a file
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <[email-masked]>
To: "Charli Li" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "XEmacs-news Mailing List" <[email-masked]>, "Cygwin/X Mailing List" <[email-masked]>, "Cygwin Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:30:23 +0900

Replies directed to xemacs-beta, cygwin/x, and cygwin mailing lists.
I'm not sure that cygwin/x is relevant, but that's what charli
suggested so I'm leaving it in for now.

>>>>> "Charli" == Charli Li <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>> From: Yuval Grossman

    >>> I am running xemacs (21.4.19) under cygwin/X (1.5.19.4). When
    >>> I am in latex mode and I latex my file (C-c C-f) sometimes
    >>> xemacs freezes. That

Are you sure that hitting C-g several times in succession doesn't work?

This sounds like a process I/O issue.  Since I have seen no other
reports, the only things I can suggest are (a) try using a different
version of the Cygwin dll, (b) since there's a pending change to
process I/O, build XEmacs from CVS checked out with -rrelease-21-4 or
wait for the release of 21.4.20 (downgrading XEmacs is unlikely to
help, as the last changes to the process code are fairly ancient,
you'd have to go back to at least 21.4.17, released 2006-02-06), or
(c) run XEmacs under gdb, elicit the freeze, get a C backtrace at the
point of the freeze, and send it to xemacs-beta.

FWIW the "pending change to process I/O" is

2006-03-23  Tony Bennett  <[email-masked]>

	* process-unix.c (unix_send_process): Reduce timeout for
	Faccept_process_output to 10ms.  This dramatically speeds up many
	functions that read from processes, eg, inferior interpreter
	processes as in ilisp or python-mode.

and the "most recent released change to process I/O" is

2005-02-03  David Evers  <[email-masked]>

	* process-unix.c (unix_send_process): Flush the last chunk, even
	when the pipe is blocked.

If the Cygwin build actually uses the process-nt.c code, then I have
no idea what's going on---that code hasn't changed since 21.4.9 in mid-2002.

    Charli> ...and the XEmacs-news mailing list, perhaps?

Please direct questions that clearly indicate a problem that could
easily be an XEmacs bug to [email-masked].

Yuval may also want to post to the comp.emacs.xemacs newsgroup, as
somebody there may know workarounds.  It is unlikely that changes in
areas as delicate as process I/O will be made in haste to the 21.4
line, especially since the experts on that are currently on vacation,
so (if it's our bug) you're going to need to be patient.

N.B.  Despite the description of xemacs-news on the XEmacs Mailing
Lists home page, the mail-news gateway has never worked well, and with
nearly zero traffic, xemacs-news is going to be decomissioned next
week, as announced several weeks ago.

Regards,

Stephen Turnbull
[email-masked]

-- 
School of Systems and Information Engineering http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
University of Tsukuba                    Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
               Ask not how you can "do" free software business;
              ask what your business can "do for" free software.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/