Subject: RE: Problem creating device files
From: Sam Robb <[email-masked]>
To: Nicolas Boudin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:57:26 -0400

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 11:11 +0200, Nicolas Boudin wrote:
> > You are making invalid assumptions.  Have a look into
> > /usr/include/cygwin/types.h and /usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h
> > and see the light.  After that, make a mental note:
> > 
> >   "Never create a device number other than by using the makedev macro"
> 
> OK, thank you. :) Now that I am enlightened I will enlight the guy who made this mistake in a program I am using. ;)

Nicolas,

  I should point out that the device node handling in the NFS server
isn't as good as it should be :-/  If you export a directory from Cygwin
using the NFS server, mount it on an Linux system, and then create a
device node on the NFS mount from the Linux system... well, that's just
plain broken.

  Translation of device node major/minor numbers *does* work properly if
the device node is created under Cygwin and then exported via NFS,
though.  So if you're going to create device nodes for a Linux root file
system, you'll want to create those under Cygwin, instead of from the
system where you mount the NFS export.

-Samrobb

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/