Subject: Re: Geomview & Cygwin setup
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:55:30 -0400

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:39:14PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>Brian Dessent wrote:
>>Lloyd Wood wrote:
>>
>>>If you don't install any of the gcc-mingw- upgrade stuff (devel tab
>>>in Cygwin), you only want ONE compiler.
>>
>>It's not possible to install one without the other, at least not without
>>overriding setup.exe's wishes, because gcc-core includes gcc-mingw-core
>>on the "requries" line, and similarly for all the other modules.  This
>>means if you select one the other will be added automatically.
>
>And, implied by Brian's response but is worthwhile to state explicitly,
>if you choose to override setup.exe's defaults here, it's assumed that
>you know what you're doing (i.e. what the consequences are, etc.)  But
>then you're creating a custom installation of Cygwin and such installs
>are not supported by this list.  That means you're on your own if you
>run into problems.  I don't know if this situation applies to Lloyd's
>case or not.  But I thought it prudent to tie up any perceived loophole
>here. :-)

Let me state something else, too.

We're not going to be changing Cygwin's gcc.  I haven't seen anything in
this thread to support the notion that gcc is doing anything wrong.  I
will admit, however, to being biased by the fact that the initial
message in this discussion was rather insulting even if it was arguably
intended to be "humorous".

So, that means that "Geomview" will either have to use what we provide
or decide not to support Cygwin.

Given this statement of fact, further complaints about how things work
or offering of opinions about how things should work would be fruitless.

So, I would appreciate it if this thread would now die or move to
cygwin-talk.  Gerald Williams has already valiantly tried to do this
once.  Let's follow his example.

cygwin-talk AT cygwin PERIOD com

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/