Subject: RE: Geomview & Cygwin setup
From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
To: "Williams, Gerald S \(Jerry\)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:07:21 +0100

At Friday 2006-04-28 11:45 -0400, Williams, Gerald S \(Jerry\) wrote:
>If you need to find out what gcc is targeting, perhaps you should
>use "-dumpmachine" instead.
>
>  $ gcc -dumpmachine
>  i686-pc-cygwin
>  $ gcc -dumpmachine -mno-cygwin
>  i686-pc-mingw32

Having identification behaviour dependent on a cygwin-specific flag 
like this is.. insane. Doing the former (which is what you'd expect) 
makes you none the wiser about mingw. The latter is a special case 
where you already have some idea what the target may be, so why would 
you issue the command? Begs the question.

>Lloyd Wood wrote:
> > cygming, not cygwin? ('ming' is a strong insult in the UK. I get
> > the impression the writer doesn't like cygwin.)
>
>You think that's bad? When the company I was working for spun off
>from AT&T, they decided to name themselves "loo scent". :-)

Ah, the famous brown ring of quality, which, alas, won't exist for much longer.

cheers,

L.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/