Subject: Re: Geomview & Cygwin setup
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:23:51 -0400

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:29:52PM +0100, Lloyd Wood wrote:
>It's awfully tempting to conclude that the compiler is screwing you 
>around (because the compiler's authors have been screwing it around, 
>because they hate Cygwin?), and you might want to to try an earlier 
>version of that. I also wonder if __CYGWIN__ is being defined and 
>picked up in the compiler environment correctly.

As the person who started using the term "cygming" in the gcc context, I
want to assure you that the software was not intended to maliciously
cause people problems.  I understand that this happens quite often in
the free software world -- people spend hours cackling with glee as they
produce a binary package whose sole intent is to provide the illusion of
usefulness, when it will really just format a hard drive or something.

However, although I did not actually produce the package in question, I
can vouch for the person who did.  So please set aside your fears and
concerns about gcc.  The word "ming" in this context merely reflects an
unforgivable lack of knowledge of British slang.

I should point out that it is unlikely that anyone is going to be changing
gcc to accommodate the needs of Geomview (whatever that is) so perhaps
you should mark Geomview as "unsupported on cygwin" since this version
number difference is apparently close to an insurmountable problem.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/