Subject: RE: Geomview & Cygwin setup
From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
To: "Dave Korn" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Chris Elliott'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:04:26 +0100

At Friday 2006-04-28 12:46 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
 > > cygming, not cygwin? ('ming' is a strong insult in the UK.
 >
 >  Yes, and we also do tongue-in-cheek humour quite well.  Well, at least some
 > of us do.

humour is intended to generate an emotional response - laughter.

 >> I get the impression the writer doesn't like cygwin.)
 >
 >  Who precisely do you suppose "the writer" would have been?

More accurately, someone who doesn't like Windows.

>  Now go away and find out what MinGW is and why cygwin's compiler
>might want to refer to it.

A referral to it and bad pun would be CygMinGW, which would at least 
include the full MinGW 'clue'. Before mailing I attempted some 
searches on 'ming' with 'gcc' and, unsurprisingly, got nowhere.

Clearer, and backwardly compatible, would be a gcc version report of 
something like:
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygwin special) (MinGW, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

which has the advantages of being unambiguous and providing 
searchable clues for context.

>  Once you stop placing a superfluous emotional
>colouring on the word you will be less distracted by irrelevancies and more
>able to solve your bug rationally.  Stop spreading misinformed FUD.

The attempted pun to generate humour is itself (surprise) 'a 
superfluous emotional colouring on the word', and is the distraction 
leading me to irrelevancies. That superfluous attempt at humour has 
certainly generated an emotional response.

Saying 'ming' instead of 'MinGW' is a deliberately misleading 
distraction. I was deliberately misinformed by gcc -v.

__CYGWIN__ is defined for gcc; gcc -v should report 'cygwin special'. 
I do not recommend changing the environment to __CYGMING__ to match 
in a further attempt at humour.

If you want people to use the information you provide rationally, do 
not colour that information with irrational attempts at humour to 
provide misinformation that causes doubt.

We need to trust the output of gcc -v.

L.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/