Subject: Re: Geomview & Cygwin setup
From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:29:52 +0100

(adding in the geomview and cygwin lists.)

Chris,

Looking at the changes in:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/geomview/geomview/src/bin/animate/glob.c
there are specific fixes for Cygwin portability that have been 
included in Geomview 1.8.2 alpha that affect d_ino use; try changing 
the sense of !defined(__CYGWIN__)  to just defined(__CYGWIN__)  and 
see if that works with your compiler. I imagine it will.

I see the output of gcc -v has changed in current cygwin:
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special) (gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

It used to be just e.g.:
gcc version 3.3.3 (cygwin special)

cygming, not cygwin? ('ming' is a strong insult in the UK. I get the 
impression the writer doesn't like cygwin.) No idea what pre-release 
gdc or dmd are, or where they've come from, or why I should care about them.

It's awfully tempting to conclude that the compiler is screwing you 
around (because the compiler's authors have been screwing it around, 
because they hate Cygwin?), and you might want to to try an earlier 
version of that. I also wonder if __CYGWIN__ is being defined and 
picked up in the compiler environment correctly.

I'm actually running Geomview 1.8.1 and Geomview 1.8.2-alpha on top 
of cygwin base 1.5.19-4... but I compiled them on a much earlier 
cygwin with an earlier version of gcc, and on an entirely different 
machine that I recently migrated the files from. (I haven't tried 
recompiling, and your note suggests I would be unwise to.)

But I have compiled SaVi and Geomview on an earlier Cygwin;
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/savi/savi-dev/README?rev=1.36&view=markup
tells me the first base Cygwin I used successfully was 1.5.9-1, and 
also lists the successful versions of gcc.

cheers,

L.

 > Hi Lloyd,
 >
 > I'm a masters student at UBC in Vancouver and I'm trying to get Geomview
 > installed on my Windows machine. I'm following the instructions that
 > you've posted via <http://geomview.org>geomview.org but my 
compilation is running into an
 > error. It seems in glob.c (in directory
 > geomview-1.8.2-alpha/src/bin/animate) there is a reference to d_ino of
 > the dirent structure. Now from my research into fixing this it seems
 > that d_ino is not supported in version 1.5.19-4 but will be in 1.5.20, I
 > also tried with version 1.5.8-1 with the same result. Do you know of any
 > way I can get around this problem? I hope this is description is
 > satisfactory, if you need any clarification please let me know.

Cheers,
Chris Elliott

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood><[email-masked]> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/