Subject: Re: Fixing the state of C++ in Cygwin
From: Doyle Rhynard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:46:18 -0700
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> There is a CERN application, ROOT, that when it is built with current
> Cygwin GCC 3.4.4-1, has problems at runtime (hang, stackdump...).
> 
> 
> But following this http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00634.html, I
> have made a build of GCC-3.4.4 that includes
> --enable-fully-dynamic-string.
> 
> This new GCC build seems to have solved those problems!
> 
> It would be desirable to see this fixed in Cygwin as promised in
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00085.html.

Did you have much trouble building gcc-3.4.4-1? I have been trying off 
and on for several weeks to get it to build with no errors. 
Interestingly, the --enable-fully-dynamic-string is set by default in 
the build script.

The bash script that does the build will not even run due an error with 
an extra "&& )" into the install2 option. There is also a problem with a 
libstdc++ Makefile that might be caused by an error in bash, itself.

I also question the wisdom of requiring building of all of the gcc 
languages: c, c++, d, objc, ada, and java requires a considerable amount 
of time. The reason why the source files have not been patched already 
is bothersome in itself. I do not have a clue whether a particular patch 
should be reversed or not before being applied, in ada, for example. I 
just accepted the default and hoped for the best.

I am getting closer, in any case. On the positive side, I have learned 
how to use the base debugger, bashdb, as well the make debugger, remake.

So far, I am lost a considerable amount of time, both in tracking the 
original cause of the DLL string crashes and in trying to rebuild gcc to 
solve the problem. Since the cause and a fix have been known for some 
time now, I, too, am perplexed why an official version has not been 
released.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/