Subject: RE: Not being given the option of installing packages on setup
From: "Natalia \(Tasha\) Belfiore" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:36:00 -0700

Thanks for the various suggestions/comments. I'm afraid I am a little bit
confused. But here's what I can confirm after trying some more things: 

1. there's no doubt I have a working cygwin installation, but perl was not
even on the list of packages I could choose in the install. Now that it's
installed, it is not listed if I search by cygcheck -s, cygcheck -c or
cygcheck -p (I understand that at least one of those should tell me what
packages were downloaded and available to install, even if I didn't manage
to install it yet). I tried installing from 2 different mirror sites in case
they were somehow different. 

2. I seem to have unix utilities in my laptop install of cygwin.

3. "skip" changed to "keep" after the initial install when I went back to
the setup.exe to see if I could install perl or anything else that wasn't
there when I first downloaded, later. This makes sense in light of Dave's
comment below. 

4. the rxvt option in the link that Igor sent me seems interesting. But I
have no idea how to "switch" these things. There wasn't enough information
in the page that I was linked to to tell me. I'm sorry-- I'm new at this. 

Thanks,
Tasha

    * From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
    * To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
    * Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:16:48 +0100
    * Subject: RE: Not being given the option of installing packages on
setup

On 18 April 2006 16:47, Natalia M. Belfiore wrote:

> 1. I did try switching to full mode and everything disappeared in the menu
> of choices.

  Are you sure that the column widths on the chooser aren't just messed up
or
it's scrolled too far or something like that?

> 4. I have attached a text file of the cygcheck -svc output.

  Which reveals you to have a fully working cygwin installation.

  BTW, when it says "Skip" next to something and you want that something
installed, click on the word "Skip" and it should change to a version number
(if it's a single package), which means "install this version", or the word
"Install" (if it's an entire category), which means "Install current
versions
of all packages in category".

    cheers,
      DaveK
-- 
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor Peshansky [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:50 AM
To: Natalia M. Belfiore
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: how do I copy and save output from cygwin window?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Natalia M. Belfiore wrote:

> I was advised to send the output of cygcheck -svc to the problems 
> list. I don't know how to save that output. I can't grab it with my 
> mouse. Thanks

Barry already replied about the particular case of problem reporting and
"cygcheck -svr" output, but, for the future, this information is in the
FAQ: <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.copy-and-paste>.
HTH,
	Igor
-- 
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_	    [email-masked] |
[email-masked]
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name
changed!)
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

"Las! je suis sot... -Mais non, tu ne l'es pas, puisque tu t'en rends
compte." "But no -- you are no fool; you call yourself a fool, there's proof
enough in that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/