Subject: Re: csh and/or GNU make bug
From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: gustav <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:47:16 -0400

%% gustav <[email-masked]> writes:

  g> There is a bug either in GNU make or in tcsh or in both---on
  g> Cygwin. The combination of csh and GNU make will hang if SHELL is
  g> declared as /bin/csh -f.

I don't know what is causing this particular issue.

However, I have to strongly recommend that no one should use csh, in any
form, as the value for SHELL in a makefile.

There are too many odd things about the way csh works that makes it
inappropriate for use with make.  Primarily the issues involve quoting
and multi-line scripting, but there are more subtle issues as well: for
example the jobserver feature (not available on the Windows port--yet)
does not work with csh, because csh has an annoying habit of closing
open file descriptors when it starts up.

Really, csh is just broken--and for makefiles even moreso.

My HO, of course :-).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>          Find some GNU make tips at:
 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.paulandlesley.org
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/