Subject: Bug in GNU Emacs POP3 handler
From: gustav <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:04:03 -0400 (EDT)

G'day All,

There is a small bug in GNU Emacs POP3 handler. This is an
Emacs/Cygwin bug, not, say, an Emacs/Linux bug. When GNU Emacs
movemail.exe transfers mail from MAILHOST, it creates a temporary file
that is made by concatenation of ".newmail-" and whatever the POP name
from rmail-primary-inbox-list is set to. That name begins with
"po:<username>", so the generated file name into which movemail is
going to move mail is

   .newmail-po:<username>

Now, Cygwin, like Windows NT, has problems with colons in file names,
so, movemail fails, if the generated file name is supposed to be, e.g.,

   .newmail-po:xyzzy44:ouch.ucs.indiana.edu

A file such as .newmail-po:xyzzy44 can be generated (if "ouch" was to
be declared throuth the MAILHOST variable), but it would show up as
.newmail-po in the directory listing. Still bad.

A simple remedy is to use the

   (if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)

clause in rmail.el and replace it with

   (if (or (eq system-type 'window-nt) (eq system-type 'cygwin))

Happy hacking,

==
 Zdzislaw (Gustav) Meglicki, Office of the Vice President for Information
 Technology, Indiana University, 601 E. Kirkwood Ave., Room 116, 
 Bloomington, IN 47405-1223, USA, http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/gustav,
 ph: 812-856-5597 (o), 812-345-3284 (m), fax: 812-855-3310/812-856-3147

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/