Subject: Rsync over SSH and ssh into machine not working with ZoneAlarm Security Suite
From: "Kris Thielemans" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:56:50 +0100

Hi

Oh no! Not another ZoneAlarm question! Sorry.

I'm having the same problem as Zarko mentioned in
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.talk/1580

Briefly:
rsync hangs as soon as networking is involved. So for instance,

$ rsync -v -v -v -v test1 localhost:test.xxx
cmd= machine=localhost user= path=test.xxx
cmd=ssh localhost rsync --server -vvvv . test.xxx
opening connection using ssh localhost rsync --server -vvvv . test.xxx
(hang)

Similarly, I can't get ssh into my machine to work (out does work):

$ ssh -v -v localhost
OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 3 clearing O_NONBLOCK
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/kris/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/kris/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/kris/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
(hang)

This all worked till this morning when I had McAfee Internet Security, but
then I unisntalled that one and installed the (trial) ZoneAlarm Security
Suite (6.1.744.000).

I did put relevant stuff in my 'trusted zone'. In fact, it even doesn't work
anymore when I set ZoneAlarm's firewall to 'low' (meaning it's off).
I did reinstall some things from cygwin (the cygwin dll, openssh, rsync,
opensll), but after trusting cygrunsrv, sshd, ssh and rsync again, it still
doesn't work.

I've found various hints on the web on sshd, but most seem not relevant. For
instance,

- people complain about "Object" warnings of zonealarm when ssh-ing into the
machine. That's not what I see, but I set "UsePrivilegeSeparation no"
anyway. Doesn't help though.

- you have to force the startup order of the sshd service after the
zonealarm services (see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/71890). I
did that and it doesn't help. My ssh problem occurs even when starting the
sshd daemon by hand anyway. 

- I've reinstalled cygwin dll, openssh, openssl, rsync (as Christopher
Faylor possibly suggested in
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.talk/1580). I then had to 'trust'
ssh, sshd, rsync again, but all to no avail.

My cygwin is up-to-date. I'm running XP home sp2. Output of cygcheck is
attached.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Kris Thielemans

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/