Subject: Re: Problems after upgrading to 1.5.19-4
From: "Larrie Carr" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dave Korn" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:37:09 -0800

From: "Dave Korn"
> On 09 March 2006 18:22, Dave Korn wrote:
>
> ... one paragraph that needs a little clarification:
>
>> On 09 March 2006 17:51, Larrie Carr wrote:
>
>>> But the latest is not always the best.  For instance, octave could only 
>>> be
>>> compiled with gcc 3.3.3 - but the latest in setup is 3.4.4.  I'm fine 
>>> with
>>> 3.3.3 so I don't want to move anytime soon to 3.4.4.
>>>
>>> So any time I add a new package with setup, I have to hit the View 
>>> button
>>> to switch to the "Select Packages", muck with the version to "Keep" gcc
>>> (but you need to do tehm in the right order, or the dependencies cause 
>>> the
>>> Keep to flip back to Install or 3.4.4 again) and then hit "Next>".
>>> Otherwise, installing something silly like orpie will suddenly move your
>>> compiler to the next version and that starts to break unrelated things.
>>>
>>> For the newbie, it's great.  But you don't see installing a rpm for 
>>> orpie
>>> (if one existed) moving your default gcc compiler to a new version.  So 
>>> it
>>> means that NOBODY around here gets to use setup.
>
> .. and I replied with ...
>
>>   No, and now you're making it /really/ clear that you haven't RTFMd. 
>> What
>> you *actually* have to do is, when you get to the package chooser, click
>> "Keep".
>
>  I should have explained that I meant the "Keep" button at the top of the
> menu, the one that directs setup to not automatically update everything, 
> the
> one that isn't the default but could be, the one that's next to "Curr" 
> (which
> is the default) and "Prev" and "Exp".  All you need to do is click that, 
> then
> select the package you want to add by clicking on it.  Bingo: new package
> added, nothing else touched.  Exactly what you wanted.
>

Sure I RTFM'ed and yes it says that.  But I would argue that Keep does not 
exactly work the way that you say it does.  So not using Keep does not 
indicate RTFM status.

If you select a new uninstalled package within the category page before 
hitting Keep, then hitting Keep will deselect the newly selected package. 
It probably something about going from Cur version of the package (which was 
just selected) to the Keep version (which isn't "install" - so what you just 
selected to install just got deselected).  If you hit Keep as a mid or last 
step, it has unexpected consequences (and a lot of "Nothing to install" 
messages).  The manual method describe above WFM.

Again, I understand the your choice of default and am not arguing to change 
it.  I'm just saying that it can cause problems for non-newbie uses trying 
to do version control.

>  Of course, the /real/ real answer is that if you're concerned with 
> stability
> and reliability and certification and validity and things like that, you 
> MUST
> set up your own in-house cygwin mirror server, and you should only ever 
> add
> new packages to it when you're sure they're good, and then all the 
> in-house
> users can run setup as much as they like, and there will only /be/ new
> packages and no updated old packages.  That gives you *total* control over
> your environment.
>

This I agree with and right now, it's a decision on the bubble.  The 
original intent was to have one installation on the network.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/