Subject: RE: cygwin
From: "Dave Korn" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Scott Wettstein'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:05:50 -0000

On 07 March 2006 10:34, Scott Wettstein wrote:

> Dave~
> 
> I recently came across your post from last October 2005 about "RE:
> AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries." You showed how to use
> "./ls" instead of "ls" I'm brand new at bash and I'm not really sure how it
> works. My problem is this: when I try to do "ls" I get the "command not
> found" error. "/bin/ls" and "/usr/bin/ls" and "./ls" all work fine, but how
> do I get just plain "ls" to work? Thanks for any help you can give.     
> 
> ~Scott

  http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PPIOSPE
  Seriously, it's far more likely to bring /you/ what /you/ want if you do so.
When I receive unsolicited email requests for help from complete strangers I'm
as likely to bin them and spam-block the sender as to feel inclined to give up
my time to help.

  http://cygwin.com/acronyms#RTFM
  I don't think you've read the user guide and the FAQ yet.  Expecting random
strangers to solve your problems for you when you haven't even done your basic
homework is of questionable politeness at the very least.

  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.path
  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.not-found
  These FAQ entries relate to not being able to find executables when you'd
expect to.

  http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html
  http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html  
  Specifically, I suspect your problem is most likely you haven't got your
/etc/passwd and /etc/groups files created yet, or you've changed your HOME
environment variable.

  It really sounds like you need to get a book or two and read them, some
introductory texts on the fundamentals of Linux/Unix and command shell usage
should set you well on the way.

    cheers,
      DaveK

PS.  Your blog's a bit overly generic, innit?! :-)
-- 
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/