Subject: Gmsh Using Cygwin "Badly"
From: "Gary R. Van Sickle" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:18:52 -0600

I just ran across a program, Gmsh (http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/, "an automatic
3D finite element grid generator (primarily Delaunay) with a build-in CAD
engine and post-processor"), that does the "multiple cygwin1.dll's" thing.
While the README acknowledges the issue, it offers the following incorrect
advice on dealing with the situation:

"2) About cygwin1.dll:

If you plan to use other programs than Gmsh that depend on the
cygwin1.dll library, you should keep only one version of this library
on your system (i.e., move cygwin1.dll to the Windows system
directory--usually C:\Windows\System\--and suppress all other versions
of cygwin1.dll). Failing to do so may result in an incorrect behavior
of applications sharing the library and running simultaneously."

Gmsh folks: Putting cygwin1.dll in "C:\Windows\System\" is bad, don't do it,
and don't recommend it to people.  Just having cygwin1.dll in your path is
sufficient.

-- 
Gary R. Van Sickle

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/