Subject: Re: 1.5.19: Solution: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
From: Barry Demchak <[email-masked]>
To: Jonathan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:25:26 -0800

The solution to my variant of this problem ended up being pretty simple.

I was running the Norton utility that guards the trash bin (Norton 
Protected Trash Bin).

For this use, it's toxic.

The solution was to add the entire cygwin directory to the exclusion 
list (in the trash bin's Properties dialog). It would look something 
like: "-c:\cygwin\**".

Keeping Norton's hands off these files makes cygwin not mess up.

Charming.

Does this help you?

At 04:08 PM 2/7/2006, Jonathan wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I recently set up cygwin on a Windows 2003 box with NTFS file 
>permissions. I encountered the same problem as mentioned in this thread:
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-07/msg00732.html
>
>To sum up the issue: Upon ssh login I received the following error message:
>
>-bash: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
>
>One thing I noticed was that looking at the permissions for the tmp 
>folder under the cygwin directory, the permissions for 
>[SERVER]\Users were marked as "Special Permissions" rather than the 
>usual set of permissions (e.g., Full Control, Modify, etc.). Even 
>though the user seemed to have all of the necessary permissions when 
>clicking the Advanced button, I chose to override these permission 
>by clicking the  "Modify" checkbox (and additionally all of the 
>permissions that get auto-selected when you choose "Modify") and the 
>error message went away.
>
>One particular detail about our installation that might be involved 
>in this problem: The original installer of cygwin on this particular 
>machine did not give [SERVER]\Users "Modify" permission on the 
>cygwin directory. We only added them after the install. It's 
>possible that adding these permission to the cygwin directory after 
>the install doesn't cascade them in the same way as having them 
>there before install does.
>
>I hope this helps,
>
>Jonathan Gordon.
>---
>[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude EVA]
>
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/