Subject: Re: strange cygstart bug with current Cygwin versions
From: David Picton <[email-masked]>
To: Igor Peshansky <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:24:26 +0000

On 2/3/06, Igor Peshansky <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, David Picton wrote:
>
> > I have encountered a strange bug when starting Microsoft Word when it is
> > started by the cygstart command, e.g. "cygstart Index.doc", with the
> > current version of the Cygwin dll.
> >
> > The symptoms are as follows:

[snip]

> > 3.  Attempting to save the file gets no response.  The only way to close
> > the window is to exit without saving!

I have now tested 'cygstart cmd' on the three computers I use, and in
every case I see the same problem with the TEMP and TMP environment
variables - they retain the Cygwin pathname (regardless of whether
this actually causes a problem with Word).  For now, I've caused TEMP
and TMP to be set to a Windows pathname within Cygwin.

I don't see the bug if I run an older version of Cygwin (pre-2006
versions of the Cygwin DLL).  TEMP and TMP used to be translated
correctly in processes invoked by cygstart.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/