Subject: Re: cvs is broken/cygwin-bug in mkdir()?
From: Sven Köhler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 05:11:08 +0100
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

>> i'm trying to use cygwin's cvs in server-mode for another application
>> I get the following error, but on a linux-system, everything is fine!
>>
>>   E cannot mkdir /tmp/cvs-serv784/.
>>   error  No such file or directory
> 
> Already discussed:
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/threads.html#01207>
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg01357.html>
> 
> It's the trailing dot that is the problem, which it seems like cvs is
> erroneously adding.  Previous versions of Cygwin accepted it, but the
> change was made to reject such calls to mkdir() in order to more
> linux-like.  I'm not sure about the errno returned, though.

Right, the trailing dot is the problem _but_ the directory
"/tmp/cvs-serv784" is created by cvs, but cvs then additionally tries to
create "/tmp/cvs-serv784/."

As i demonstrated, my Linux returns the error "file already exists"
instead of cygwin's "no such file or directory". So the problem is
perhaps gone, if cygwin becomes more Linux-like once again ;-)

> A reported workaround is to use an earlier Cygwin (such as .18) but that
> really isn't a great idea since you will also have to downgrade a
> handful of other packages (coreutils, findutils, bash, libreadline,
> others?)  Or someone may have tracked down the issue in cvs, I'm not
> sure.

yes, that really not a good idea.

I'm trying to develop a Eclipse-Plugin for local CVS without SSH. It
would be nice, if cvs would run in servermode - by either fixing CVS or
cygwin - well, one of the two has to be fixed.

Greetings
  Sven

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/