Subject: Re: New platform independent problem
From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:24:29 +0100

Eric Blake <[email-masked]> writes:

> What platforms use d_ino==0 to mean an empty entry, rather than an entry
> where st_ino must be checked?

This is traditional Unix behaviour.  The original dirent structure (which
was actually struct direct from <sys/dir.h>) directly matched the contents
of the directory file on disk, and an entry was deleted by setting d_ino
to zero.  Modern implementations of the dirent functions hide this detail
from the user and never return entries with d_ino == 0 any more.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, [email-masked]
SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
PGP key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/