Subject: Re: readline 5.1 question
From: [email-masked] (Eric Blake)
To: Bob Rossi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:22:19 +0000

> 
> Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I think I did install that. It's very
> odd to me that there is libreadline-6-5.1-1, since there is no readline
> version 6. Are you suggesting the cygwin package manager has no way of
> dealing with multiple version of a library?

It is because there ARE multiple API versions of a library that there
is an additional API suffix.  libreadline4 comes from readline 4.x,
libreadline5 comes from readline 5.0, but back when cygwin used
32 bit offsets, since readline 5.0 broke binary compatibility with
readline 4.x.  Cygwin then changed APIs, so to keep old apps
linked against libreadline5 still working, we had to bump the
id number to libreadline6 for the 5.x readline series with new
64 bit offset cygwin API.  And had readline 5.1 broken API
compatibility with 5.0, I would have released it as libreadline7-5.1
(fortunately, the upstream changes from 5.0 to 5.1 were binary
compatible, so I did not have to bump the API number).

> Sorry, attached is the output.
> 
> 
> 144k 2005/07/29 C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                   "cygreadline6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/7/28 23:57

This is fishy.  Did you have a shell open during the upgrade?  Did
setup.exe inform you that you need to reboot?  The ts entry of
libreadline6-5.1-1 should be 2005/12/29; you have a libreadline6-5.0
still resident in memory, explaining why your test app prints 5.0.

> libreadline4            4.1-2
> libreadline5            4.3-5
> libreadline6            5.1-1
...
> readline                5.0-2

This shows the exact opposite of my original guess - you
have the up-to-date .dll package, but the old headers.  Rerun
setup.exe, and this time make sure you reinstall 5.1-1 of both
readline and libreadline6 packages, with no cygwin processes
running (so that libreadline6 will not be resident in memory,
which inhibits its upgrade), then try again.

--
Eric Blake

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/