Subject: Readline-5.1 released
From: Chet Ramey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 13:22:27 -0500

The first public release of the GNU Readline library, version
5.1, is now available for FTP with the URLs

ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/readline-5.1.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/readline/readline-5.1.tar.gz

and from the usual GNU mirror sites.

This distribution is essentially a standalone version of the
readline library that appears in Bash-3.1 together with an
`autoconf' framework.  The documentation has been updated and
is current.  Postscript, DVI, and Info versions of the Readline
and History manuals are included.  A list of changes in this
release is appended to this announcement.

GNU Readline is a library which provides programs with an input
facility including command-line editing and history.  Editing
commands similar to both emacs and vi are included.  The GNU
History library, which provides facilities for managing a list of
previously-typed command lines and an interactive command line
recall facility similar to that provided by csh, is also present.
The history library is built as part of the readline library as well
as separately.

Diffs from readline-5.0 are not available.

Please send readline bug reports to [email-masked].

+========== CHANGES ==========+
This document details the changes between this version, readline-5.1,
and the previous version, readline-5.0.

1.  Changes to Readline

a.  Fixed a bug that caused multiliine prompts to be wrapped and displayed
    incorrectly.

b.  Fixed a bug that caused ^P/^N in emacs mode to fail to display the current
    line correctly.

c.  Fixed a problem in computing the number of invisible characters on the first
    line of a prompt whose length exceeds the screen width.

d.  Fixed vi-mode searching so that failure preserves the current line rather
    than the last line in the history list.

e.  Fixed the vi-mode `~' command (change-case) to have the correct behavior at
    end-of-line when manipulating multibyte characters.

f.  Fixed the vi-mode `r' command (change-char) to have the correct behavior at
    end-of-line when manipulating multibyte characters.

g.  Fixed multiple bugs in the redisplay of multibyte characters:  displaying
    prompts longer than the screen width containing multibyte characters,

h.  Fix the calculation of the number of physical characters in the prompt
    string when it contains multibyte characters.

i.  A non-zero value for the `rl_complete_suppress_append' variable now causes
    no `/' to be appended to a directory name.

j.  Fixed forward-word and backward-word to work when words contained
    multibyte characters.

k.  Fixed a bug in finding the delimiter of a `?' substring when performing
    history expansion in a locale that supports multibyte characters.

l.  Fixed a memory leak caused by not freeing the timestamp in a history entry.

m.  Fixed a bug that caused "\M-x" style key bindings to not obey the setting
    of the `convert-meta' variable.

n.  Fixed saving and restoring primary prompt when prompting for incremental   
    and non-incremental searches; search prompts now display multibyte
    characters correctly.

o.  Fixed a bug that caused keys originally bound to self-insert but shadowed
    by a multi-character key sequence to not be inserted.

p.  Fixed code so rl_prep_term_function and rl_deprep_term_function aren't
    dereferenced if NULL (matching the documentation).

q.  Extensive changes to readline to add enough state so that commands
    requiring additional characters (searches, multi-key sequences, numeric
    arguments, commands requiring an additional specifier character like
    vi-mode change-char, etc.) work without synchronously waiting for
    additional input.

r.  Lots of changes so readline builds and runs on MinGW.

s.  Readline no longer tries to modify the terminal settings when running in
    callback mode.

t.  The Readline display code no longer sets the location of the last invisible
    character in the prompt if the \[\] sequence is empty.

u.  The `change-case' command now correctly changes the case of multibyte
    characters.

v.  Changes to the shared library construction scripts to deal with Windows
    DLL naming conventions for Cygwin.

w.  Fixed the redisplay code to avoid core dumps resulting from a poorly-timed
    SIGWINCH.

x.  Fixed the non-incremental search code in vi mode to dispose of any current
    undo list when copying a line from the history into the current editing
    buffer.

y.  Fixed a bug that caused reversing the incremental search direction to
    not work correctly.  
    
z.  Fixed the vi-mode `U' command to only undo up to the first time insert mode
    was entered, as Posix specifies.

aa. Fixed a bug in the vi-mode `r' command that left the cursor in the wrong
    place.

bb. Fixed a redisplay bug caused by moving the cursor vertically to a line
    with invisible characters in the prompt in a multibyte locale.

cc. Fixed a bug that could cause the terminal special chars to be bound in the
    wrong keymap in vi mode.

2.  New Features in Readline

a.  The key sequence sent by the keypad `delete' key is now automatically   
    bound to delete-char.

b.  A negative argument to menu-complete now cycles backward through the
    completion list.

c.  A new bindable readline variable:  bind-tty-special-chars.  If non-zero,
    readline will bind the terminal special characters to their readline
    equivalents when it's called (on by default).

d.  New bindable command: vi-rubout.  Saves deleted text for possible  
    reinsertion, as with any vi-mode `text modification' command; `X' is bound
    to this in vi command mode.

e.  If the rl_completion_query_items is set to a value < 0, readline never
    asks the user whether or not to view the possible completions.

f.  The `C-w' binding in incremental search now understands multibyte
    characters.

g.  New application-callable auxiliary function, rl_variable_value, returns 
    a string corresponding to a readline variable's value.

h.  When parsing inputrc files and variable binding commands, the parser
    strips trailing whitespace from values assigned to boolean variables
    before checking them.

i.  A new external application-controllable variable that allows the LINES   
    and COLUMNS environment variables to set the window size regardless of
    what the kernel returns.

-- 
``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer
( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet )
						Live Strong.
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    [email-masked]    http://tiswww.tis.case.edu/~chet/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/