Subject: RE: FW: 1.5.18: grep -f option broken
From: "Chris Milam" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:35:57 -0800

Using d2u on the text file worked as you indicated.  My assertion that
the -f option worked as I expected in a previous version was not true in
that respect.  I probably used a DOS-style editor on the file at some
point and that exposed the problem that I described.

My general impression is that most other text processing in Cygwin
gracefully handles the differences in DOS/UNIX file formats; I agree
with you about the pattern file being opened in text mode.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Chris Milam wrote:
> 
> > In the latest release of grep (2.5.1a-2), I believe that the -f
option 
> > (read expressions from a file) is no longer working.
> > [snip manpage quote]
> > However, it appears that no match of any input is ever found for any

> > set of strings in the file specified by -f.  This functionality was 
> > working in an earlier release (I regret to say that I cannot
remember 
> > the last time it was working but it was a release within the last
year, I think).
> 
> I was only able to reproduce this behavior if the script had DOS line
endings on a binmode mount (which you have).  Run the script through d2u
and try again.
> 
> It's arguably a bug in grep that the pattern file should be opened in
text mode.
> 	Igor

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/