Subject: Re: WINE on Cygwin
From: Informações <[email-masked]>
To: "Leon Brooks" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Andrew DeFaria" <[email-masked]>, "Alexander Gottwald" <[email-masked]>, "Joe Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:02:15 -0300

Guys,

    Sorry for not getting involved with this discussion before.

    For those interested in more details about this topic, I included 
several good references in this message.

    I can think of many reasons why someone would want to run WINE under 
Cygwin and my reason, put shortly, is: GDI->X11. I did quite a research to 
identify all the issues related to this, and end up knowning that this 
sendmsg() limitation is a major one. I was really willing to start making 
things happen by getting more info on how to tackle this, but the discussion 
diverged to the rather philosophical "why do this" discussion. The only 
useful info I got from this thread was that "this is still an issue", from 
Corinna.

    Can anyone point me to any reference covering the implementation of the 
missing sendmsg functionality (exchanging file descriptors across processes) 
? Any (incomplete) piece of code ? Any help ?

    My company has manifested a clear commitment to having this done, and 
I'm trying to do my best not to let this die again.

    Tks

    FLu-X

   1 - These are quite informative threads with many useful references:

    http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/21/093223&tid=109&tid=104&tid=4

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-09/msg00094.html

    2 - Some related projects:

    http://sourceware.org/XOpenWin/

    http://xwinx.sourceforge.net/index.php

    http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11/

    http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~sawanaka/peace/ (em japonês)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/