Subject: Building libstdc++.dll the easy way
From: "John W. Eaton" <[email-masked]>
To: Danny Smith <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:13:11 -0400

On  6-Oct-2005, Danny Smith wrote:

| Building  libstdc++.dll  may be a "hard problem" for a mathematician or
| for libtool, but this is how an ordinary  person coud do  it.
| 
| dlltool --output-def libstdc++.def --export-all libstdc++.a
| gcc -shared -olibstdc++.dll -Wl,--out-implib,libstdc++.dll.a \
|     libstdc++.def libstdc++.a
| 
| 
| The main problem after that is in getting rid of the need for auto-import of
| data objects by marking header files appropiately.

The other main problem after that is that the C++ ABI has been
changing, so having only one version of the library would cause
trouble.  But maybe that is not as big a problem now as it was in the
past?  OTOH, surely there will be some changes to the library in the
future, so it seems that it would be a good idea to be able to have
multiple versions of libstdc++.dll.a installed simultaneously?  Or is
this not possible for some reason?

jwe

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/