Subject: Re: Setup error: "URL Scheme not registered!
From: Arthur I Schwarz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:48:33 -0700

On 9/24/05, wrote:
> I'm setting up Cygwin. I downloaded files to one machine, and I want
> to install over the network to another machine (I don't have enough
> space for both the pre- and post-install files on the target machine).
> However, when I run setup on the other machine, as soon as it starts
> copying files, I get this error:
>
> Fatal Error: Uncaught Exception
> Thread: install
> Type: St16invalid_argument
> Message: URL Scheme not registered!
>
> I Googled for previous information about this. It seems that I needed
> to move the setup.ini file aside. I tried this, but that wipes out the
> list of packages when I re-run setup.exe. What gives? Thanks in
> advance for any help.

You really haven't provided much information here. What are the options
you choose with setup.exe? What does your network path look like
(\\server\share\ or X:\)? Is there anything else in setup.log? See

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.setup-fails

A little history:
1. About 18 months ago I received the same error message and requested
   support.
2. The support received then is much as the support you have received.
3. At that time (and for some time thereafter), the failure came after
   some uninstalls had occurred, essentially corrupting Cygwin.
4. The only process which restored my system successfully was to
   reinstall all of Cygwin. The anomaly is that setup.exe works for a
   complete reinstall but not for an update.
5. Since that time I believe that I have been able to update my home
   computer once. There seems to be no support on this problem from
   Cygwin and (so) I just gave up. Lest we forget, I also attempted
   to build setup from scratch, using gcc, with debug enabled. I was
   unsuccessful in this (also) and (also) just gave up.

My environment and process is:
1. I download and update Cygwin on a Pentium, WinXP system at work.
2. I save the Cygwin download, Setup.exe program, and Setup.ini
   program onto a portable medium.
3. I copy the saved programs to my home computer (Win2K, AMD).
   The folder names are the same as on my work computer and file
   locations are replicated.
4. I then run setup.exe. It never works. Never. If I remember
   correctly, the diagnostic message is the same as yours.

The issue of whether your computer is on a network appears irrelevant.
My computer has the same problem without a network install.

My home computer has a 56K modem. Not good for large downloads but
good enough for my usual needs.

You can expect no support. You will, after a short while, start to
receive sarcastic comments from the developers. You will be blamed
for your problem. You will be directed to information of no value
in determining what is wrong. The only recourse seems to be a complete
rebuild.

Don't give up on the product because of the failure and (as you will
see) lack of any appropriate response. It is worth your while to
start from scratch and rebuild Cygwin - don't forget to remove the
register entries.

Other than that, it's a great system. It really is. I have been
using the Cygwin from about 1995/6 at home. All of the developers
(except maybe the setup crew) do a wonderful job. They are impressive
in their attempts to find what is wrong, even if it's their problem,
and to fix it. And, they are helpful. However, the setup build fiasco
was so frustrating that I've let the experts do the build, leaving
myself to just do the complaining.

art

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/