Subject: Re: setup.exe 2.510.2.2, 2.427 and 2.457 consistently failing, on win2000, sp4
From: "fergus" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:44:26 +0100

> .. the files are already successfully downloaded ..
> .. all other times that i have installed cygwin it has been successful ..

Sorry to butt in but this is intriguing. More often than not I install from
a local directory and it has worked forever, and is still working. Probably
all the following are just fine, apols for asking:

Q1. Are you sure the files are downloaded? ie under /release/ there should
be, dunno, ~ 1G? (I've got [prev] and [test] as well so hard to tell what
just [curr] would come to.)

Q2. Have you got setup.ini above /release/?

Q3. There's some characteristic of Windows that means the installation is
prone to ?/ certain to fail if setup.ini is in C:\ and the installation
files in C:\release\. The hierarchy needs to be C:\somedirname\setup.ini
with files under C:\somedirname\release\.

Q4. Ideally your registry would be cleared of all Cygwin-related mentions
and any historical Cygwin mounts. But I don't suppose it matters if it
isn't.

Q5. Then "Install From Local Directory" with Root Directory = C:\Cygwin
(say) and Local Package Directory = C:\somedirname. It should all just fly
along.

Oh I know you know all that. Sorry for talking down. Your difficulty sounds
crazily weird.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/