Subject: Re: 1.5.18-1 Segfault on setup postinstall
From: "Andrew Comport" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:35:28 +0200

Brian Dessent wrote:

>Andrew Comport wrote:
>
>>I am still unable to install cygwin. As a summary:
>>( I have windows XP Sp2 up to date.)
>>
>>1. I download the most recent version of setup.exe (now 2.510.2.2).
>>2. I execute using default install settings.
>>3. Setup.exe hangs at 98% "Installing /etc/postinstall/s00ash.sh"
>>4. I click cancel and receive the message "installation complete".
>
>
>>From your strace:
>
>   44   10650 [main] bash 1280 open_shared: name (null), shared
>0x60020000 (wanted 0x60020000), h 0x724
>   29   10679 [main] bash 1280 _pinfo::set_ctty: checking if /dev/tty-1
>changed
>   20   10699 [main] bash 1280 _pinfo::set_ctty: attached tty1073741824
>sid 1280, pid 1280, tty->pgid 1280, tty->sid 1280
>  863   11562 [main] bash 1280 handle_exceptions: In
>cygwin_except_handler exc 0xC0000005 at 0x7C90EAE0 sp 0x225F0C
>   35   11597 [main] bash 1280 handle_exceptions: In
>cygwin_except_handler sig 11 at 0x7C90EAE0
>   22   11619 [main] bash 1280 handle_exceptions: In
>cygwin_except_handler calling 0x0
>   19   11638 [main] bash 1280 handle_exceptions: Exception:
>STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>
>It seems strange that it is trying to access the tty numbered -1.  That
>could be the cause of the fault.  Do you have CYGWIN=tty?

Thanks for these suggestions. Unfortunately  I tried this with no success...

If not try
>that. / if so disable it.  Also, try a snapshot of the latest
>cygwin1.dll.
>

I have tried with the latest snapshot, however, since the base install 
doesnt work, the environment is not setup correctly. After replacing the 
cygwin1.dll base file with the latest snapshot I am still unable to run 
ash.exe, bash.exe and the majority of the other exe. I get either a hang or 
a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION.

I have also tried the cygwin time machine to install versions that I know 
previously worked on my machine. These versions also hang on the post 
install but on different files. Executing the bash.exe command still hangs 
with these versions.

It would seem that Pradip also has a similar problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/