Subject: RE: xrdb needs cpp, but i do not need gcc
From: "Dave Korn" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:19:35 +0100

----Original Message----
>From: Dave Korn
>Sent: 22 September 2005 11:21

> ----Original Message----
>> From: Corinna Vinschen
>> Sent: 22 September 2005 11:07
> 
>> On Sep 22 09:23, Karl-Olov Serrander wrote:
>>> Seems that xrdb uses cpp when processing .Xdefaults, but cpp is only
>>> included in gcc package. So xorg should depend on gcc but why not make
>>> cpp a separate package since gcc is a very large package ?

>   No it isn't really, because the real question is "Could cpp be packaged
> separately from gcc", regardless of whether for an X app that needs it or
> otherwise, and the answer is "No, it can't be, because the preprocessor is
> built into the compiler these days, not a standalone like it used to be;
> the seeming standalone cpp.exe is just a driver that invokes cc1.exe with
> the -E flag".

  Actually, that's too strong a statement.  It _could_ be possible to make a
package containing only cpp.exe and cc1.exe.  But it wouldn't save you all
that much over the gcc-core package: a couple of extra copies of the driver,
a few small utils like [un]protoize and gcov, a couple of hundred kB of
include headers and static libs, and the basic docs/info files; it would
probably still need to be supplied with the language catalogs.

  OTOH, the dependency for xrdb should probably be only on gcc-core, not any
of the remaining packages.  That's probably the easiest compromise.

    cheers,
      DaveK
-- 
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/