Subject: Re: 1:5:16 XP Is there a strings program?
From: [email-masked] (Eric Blake)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Trevor Osatchuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:43:03 +0000

> I was looking for the strings functionality in cygwin.  I googled it
> and saw that strings.exe should be in bin/utils, but I don't have it. 
> I ran my installation again to see if it was an option that I could,
> but it wasn't there.

It is part of the "binutils" package, which can be selected with
setup.exe, and not a program in the mythical "bin/utils"
subdirectory.  It gets installed as /bin/strings.exe and
/usr/bin/strings.exe.

Follow these directions to help us help you.
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Based on your message subject, you are running an older version
of cygwin, and it is worth upgrading cygwin to 1.5.18 when you
grab the binutils package.  It is all done with the same setup.exe
program.

--
Eric Blake

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/