Subject: Re: xargs still nok?
From: [email-masked] (Eric Blake)
To: Alexander Gottwald <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:29:07 +0000

> > # let find do the grouping, even faster than xargs!
> > $ time find . -name '*' -exec echo {} + >/dev/null
> 
> Hm. nice! I never heard about that one. Seems to be quite new.
> 

POSIX 2003 added this feature, and GNU find only implemented
it in 4.2.12 (i.e. cygwin has not had it until 4.2.25-1, since cygwin
was previously at 4.2.11-CVS).  Because it is relatively new,
portable scripts should not rely on its existance yet (wait for
other platforms to catch up to POSIX first).  Also, be aware that
there are security implications when using -exec, for which
-execdir is a better option - read the info pages.

(Re)read http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2005-09/msg00002.html
to see what else find/xargs/locate have recently added.

--
Eric Blake

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/